Do you ever wonder what everyday parents (aka not sponsored influencers) pack in their diaper bags on the reg? That’s what Huhu’s new “What’s in your diaper bag?” series reveals. We’re asking business, tech, and parenting industry leaders to give us a peek into their kid must-haves so new—and not-so-new—parents can discover their don’t-leave-home-without-its. And it's not just moms who carry the (literally physical) burden of their kids' stuff. We want to hear from dads as well. You can learn more about our ode to the swag of dad bags here.
First up: Tamiz Ahmed, a 15-year tech product and engineering leader who is now making waves in the Parenting space. Tamiz is the Co-founder of Poppylist and a proud #GirlDad. He’s originally from the East Coast and now lives in the Bay Area with his wife and 21-month-old daughter.
On how becoming a parent has changed his life, Ahmed said: "Becoming a parent has made a huge difference in my life as a tech founder. At my previous start-ups, there were few distractions to keep me from my work. Now, time with my daughter is too precious not to prioritize. That turns out to be an advantage - knowing I can't work whenever I choose forces me to work more efficiently and on the most important tasks at hand."
Tamiz teamed up with co-founder Sarah Hollingsworth in 2020 to build a baby registry they wished existed when they were expecting parents. There are so many baby products on the market—which are essentials and which aren’t?
Poppylist is the most flexible baby registry platform with a more personalized approach than bigger registries like Babylist or Amazon. Our favorite feature is the delayed delivery, which lets registrants get gifts delivered to them when they—or baby—are ready for it (vs. storing everything in the bedroom closet). As for the gifting experience, even technologically-challenged Grandma can reserve gifts or shop all within the platform without opening 10 different tabs.
Take Poppylist’s Parent Type Quiz to see which products are realistic for your family and lifestyle. Tamiz identifies as Tech Savvy, and we’re not surprised. Fun fact: Tamiz is a muse for the custom illustrations on Poppylist’s website (see if you can spot him).
Tamiz’s Diaper Bag Essentials
When packing a diaper bag for anything from errands to a hike, Tamiz prepares to keep his kid nourished, safe, and entertained (he learned the hard way that snacks cure all meltdowns).
Here are a few products he always has stocked:
- Munchkin Snack Catcher for snacks on the go (e.g., crackers and cereal) that won’t make a huge mess.
- Cerebelly Smart Bars as a healthy toddler snack option. These organic, whole grain bars contain natural fruits and veggies with no added sugar and are easy to stash.
- Hydro Flask Kids Wide Mouth water bottle for hydration that fits in a water bottle pocket or main compartment without leaking.
- Aveeno Baby mineral sunscreen protects the skin from harmful UV rays.
- A cute hat keeps the sun out of the baby’s eyes (and the compliments coming).
- A book from the Llama Llama series or one that doubles as a toy, like the interactive Computer Engineering for Babies book.
Outside of the Diaper Bag
Tamiz’s Big Trip Tip
Tamiz traveled to Spain last year with his then 8-month-old daughter. Here are a few things that what worked for their transatlantic flight:
- preparing for the flight ahead of time by trying shorter flights
- booking a redeye for the 11-hour flight to Europe
- purchasing an extra seat on the plane to have their baby fly in the car seat (vs. on their laps). Tamiz said this was worth the extra cost, so that she could get more sleep.
You can check out more of our “What’s in your diaper bag?” series on the blog and Instagram.